Sunday, April 25, 2010

Eating Healthy

Melaina has been complaining she wants healthy food. Jeremy has already begun to cut carbs. My Mom and Dad have been doing great on changing the way they eat. I think it is time I do the same.

I have started with the most difficult and the most regularly consumed item in my daily routine. I quit the Dr. Pepper. That meant giving up caffeine as well cause I don’t do coffee. I’m not stressing on the caffeine thing really. If I have a cup of tea fine. I just really needed to eliminate the high fructose corn syrup that is a main ingredient in soda. I can’t switch to diet because aspartame and I have never gotten along.

Now obviously this is going a long way toward controlling my hypoglycemia and will help put off the inevitable diabetes. I am however aware that there has got to be more to do. For instance I need to get rid of the simple carbohydrates and replace them with complex carbohydrates.  No more processed foods and I should eat more fish and chicken. At least salt is not a huge issue for me. quite frankly I don’t really like it and never add it to my foods. I actually prefer the natural taste of things.

So, here is the stumbling block I have just come too in starting this new food adventure. I have to learn to plan meals and shop accordingly. I need to find good healthy recipes that are not too overwhelming for someone who has always hated to cook. I may find after awhile that some recipes that scare me now will be no big deal in the future.

Basically I have all these great ideas and a bit of knowledge about what I can and can’t have but no clue on how to put them together or how to start.

Focus on the positive! Water doesn’t taste so bad after all. An apple makes a great desert. White cheese is better than yellow and I LOVE feta cheese.

Oh think I found something good: Butter Lettuce Salad With Feta, Mandarin Oranges and Kalamata Olives Recipe by Jennifer Meier

Butter Lettuce Salad With Feta, Mandarin Oranges and Kalamata Olives

Photo by Jennifer Meier

This salad is light and refreshing. The salty but mild Feta pairs well with the Kalamata olives and is a tasty contrast to the oranges.

Butter Lettuce Salad With Feta, Mandarin Oranges and Kalamata Olives serves 2-3

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 2/3 cups shelled, unsalted pistachios (either raw or roasted)
  • 1/4 lb. Feta, crumbled
  • 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
  • 2 Mandarin oranges, peeled and separated into wedges
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Preparation:

In a bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, salt and cumin together until well mixed

In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce with pistachios, Feta, olives and orange wedges. Drizzle the dressing on top. Toss again and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment